Sunday, March 3, 2013

French-fried snark … les pommes frites snarkaises


The roar of the deadlines, the smell of the publishers, all these combine today to leave this over-worked illustrator no time for the usual Snark posting … so instead, I'll leave you with some links to recent reviews of my Snark GN, plus a really cool blog devoted to J.-H. Rosny aîné! Sorry, they're in French, so you'll have to stick a babelfish in your ear and carry on as best as you can. Don't panic, just suck on your towel …

Pour mes lecteurs francais … aujourd'hui, les travaux snarkaises me laissent enervé, epuisé … la puanteur d'encre et l'enfer blanche des planches vides me fatiguent. Au lieu de cela, je vous offre quelques bonnes critiques de mon BD Snark et aussi, un blog très interessant, dévoué à J.-H. Rosny aîné, avec les échantillons de mes dessins science-fiction.

• Soli Loci
• Echos Art
• J.-H. Rosny aîné

And by the way, the Slusser/Chatelaine translation of Rosny's SF novellas (Wesleyan Press) is available here. These are truly amazing and avant-garde works of SF, a must-read for anyone who wishes to blow their minds with a genuinely alien point-of-view in story-telling. Curious how little SF is really avant-garde … most authors' vision of alternate realities and futures is depressingly small-minded.

NB. If the Québec language police are reading this, they'll probably revoke my licence to write French, so order my Snark now before I'm buried alive under a thick, gooey mountain of maple-syrup saturated pasta.




6 comments:

  1. Hi Mahendra! Is this a Babelfish stuck in your ear, or are you just happy to see me? *___-
    Warm thanks from a French reader for the precious french-language links... and best luck for navigating on these inky smelly waves you're currently sailing on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. These inky waves are stormy today. The Rosny blog is really interesting for me, there is nothing like him in the anglophone world and I hope the new translation interests readers. For me, the 3 great French writers of SF are Verne, Rosny and yes, Raymond Roussel! And also, I have to say that Salammbô is the perfect fantasy novel, long before Conan and Elric, so Flaubert is my master of Pulp Fiction.

    Back to work … 20 trillion leagues under the sea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ho-hum, I feel I should have typed "sailing through" instead of "sailing on". Save me, Babel Fish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ton anglais est plus meilleur que mon francais … tous les vagues linguistiques me tanguent.

    le poisson-babelique nous n'ecoute pas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. Thank you for your comments and the link. I'm trying to update my Blog dedicated to both brothers J.-H. Rosny (Rosny aîné & Rosny jeune) every day. I have a lot of informations to share. At this time, there's no biography or complete bibliography available (even in french). I give my best to fill this lack of informations (I don't know if this sentence is correct...). By the way, your french is better than my english ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I have also had difficulties finding Rosny's work here in Quebec. I think a bibliography may be impossible, he wrote so much.

    Anglophones need to read Rosny, not just Verne.

    Your English is excellent. My French … sapristi! But we must not give up! We shall learn to miscommunicate together!

    ReplyDelete